Total home improvements sometimes require a big cost, or even bigger rather than purchasing a new home. To make your building, especially home to become more environmentally friendly, we suggest you to perform these following steps to perform green home improvements. It may seem trivial, but once done, you will have been done giving a great impact to the preservation of the earth.
1. First step to carry out green home improvements is to replace your light bulbs with LEDs that are more environmentally friendly. You don’t have to replace all bulbs entirely at the same time, but do change every time a bulp life is over. LED lamp tend to be more expensive, but in the other hand, more durable and environmentally friendly.
2. Minimize the use of air condition. It is quite difficult to do, especially for those living in hot temperature regions. If possible, replace your air conditioner with water cooler that are quite popular nowadays, and being sold in many electronics stores. Or you can put some creativity by doing it yourself, following the guidelines found on many videos in YouTube.
3. Reproduce natural lighting incomings. Sunlight is the natural light on earth. If you live in a dense population area that hold you back from installing windows in house side, make use of glass tile. To maximize the incoming sunlight, replace some ceiling parts with acrylic canopy.
4. Most branded and quality house paint does not contain hazardous materials; however, many are still loads dangeroud substances such as lead and mercury and some paint manufacturers have been even known for illegally affixing lead and mercury-free in their product packaging. Lead is commonly used to produce bright colors, but could cause disruption the nervous system and reproductive organs, whereas mercury for anti-fungal ingredients can cause interference within the nervous, brain and kidney systems. In addition they also causing harm to the living environment, so try to be thorough in choosing paints.
5. Nurturing plants. Although your home may not have any open area, but you can nurture plants with just installing hanging pots on the wall, especially with plants that are useful to freshen up the surroundings. The recommended plants are those which are considered medicinal plants, such as lavender to repel insects, and vines to calm the atmosphere.
Those are the tips to do green home improvements. Do it gradually to save your finances from burden. Gradually, your home will sense as a complete green building.